In order to best test the objectives I have set forth in my initial posting, I have created three test questions and an essay question related to high school mathematics. In learning objective number one, the goal is for the student is to be able to solve multistage problems. In the first test question, the student has to use multiple steps to solve for the unknown variable. First, the student will use remove the parenthesis, next move all variables to one side doing the math, and lastly solve for x. I used a problem that the student has to work through because this is the best way to show knowledge by showing the work. Also, if the student gets the answer incorrect, I can see where the student is making the mistake if the student is showing their work.
The second outcome is specific to mean and standard deviation. In order to test for these, I have the students demonstrating knowledge by showing their work and working out a problem. I supply the numbers and students must know what to do with those numbers to get the desired outcome. This also relates to the first objective of being able to solve multi-step problems. If a student answers the question wrong, then I will be able to see where the student made the mistake if work is shown.
The third outcome relates to using Algebra to solve rate, work, and percent problems. In order to demonstrate knowledge, I give the student's a word problem and the student has to set up the equation and work out the problem. This makes the student think critically about conversions and how they relate to one another. By working through the problem, I can see where students need help with their work or where they excel in understanding.
The essay question makes the student first define a word then think of real life application. The question then goes further to relate a subject to their own life. The student will consider their life and how what he or she is learning currently will help them in their future. Hopefully, students will understand the importance of the subject and how it relates to them making learning math more important.



No comments:
Post a Comment